Thoughts, Meditations and Card Readings

Monday, June 28, 2010

As some of you know at the start of every academic term I like to give myself a reading on what to expect for the upcoming term. I always use the same deck, Lisa Hunt's gorgeous Animals Divine deck and the same spread that I created myself. This spread uses four cards, one for the class itself, one for the challenges of the class, one for what I will bring to the class and another for what I will get from the class. I also do a final card, connected the classes together. I usually do two classes a term; this term I am doing three.

History: Colonial New England

This class is represented by the card Quetzalcoatl, the King of Swords. He sits straight and tall, order in everything about him. The King of Swords is a very analytical card and shows that this class will be an important one. Still, the bright colors and birds also show that it will be interesting and colorful. I can expect to work hard but find some interesting stories along the way. The challenge of this card can be found in the Ant, the Eight of Wands. The ant is such a cooperative creature and according to the syllabus this class will require a lot of team work. I have had ill luck with this in this past so I can understand that this is a challenge. I will have to focus my energies on making sure that lack of teamwork is not my downfall for this class, as it has been in previous courses. I will bring to this course Bast, the High Priestess. She has so much inner knowledge and unusual information. What will I be able to offer that others don't have? How much knowledge do I have that I'm unaware of? Perhaps it will be my ability to see things from different perspectives? Either way, I will be a unique voice in this class. Finally what I will get from this class is Hanuman, the Page of Pentacles. In the long run this isn't going to be a life changing class, but it will provide me with the necessary tools to move forward. I will be a better person for understanding this country better and I find the ability to use that knowledge in my future endeavors.

Literature: Modern Drama

This class is represented by Sparrow, the Two of Swords. It looks as though I will once again have to find a way to make the difference sides of myself work in harmony. The sparrow stands alone, looking up at his bird companions as they fly above him. I wonder if I too will feel a sense of isolation in this class. My challenge for the class is found with Snake, the Nine of Wands. Snake slithers in time with other snakes, working in harmony. Again with the teamwork. Though unlike the Ant, this isn't about learning to work well with others, this is about learning to play well with others. Respecting that the other students have equally strong and important voices, even if they haven't spent a good third of their life in a theatre. I will bring to this class Toad, the Three of Wands. This makes so much sense! I will bring creativity and perspective. I'll see the shows as someone who has directed, who has stage managed. I'll see technical issues that other students might miss. I will gain from this class Ganesha, the High Priest. Unlike the Priestess who gets her knowledge from within, the Priest is educated in his knowledge. I will have a better understanding of theatre, an art form that will forever be a passion.

Psychology: Child and Adolescent Development

This class is represented by Heron, the Ten of Swords. So much information! I will constantly be learning new facts and juggling to retain as much as possible. All is important, but will all be important for my future in this field? How will I know? My challenge is Anahita, the Page of Swords. She's so curious about everything around her. I can be that way too. Sometimes curiosity will only work to overwhelm my mind. I must be careful. I will bring to this class Salmon, the Nine of Cups. I just want more and more knowledge and information. I want to keep going and fill my brain with as much as possible. I bring that drive to this class. I will get from the class Beaver, the Four of Pentacles. This is a sense of hard work and craftsmanship. This class will help me focus on my major; psychology with an emphasis in child and adolescent development.

This classes will work well together, as shown by Octopus, the Eight of Cups. I have many different interests and they can work well together. However I must beware of overextending myself. I have a lot going on this term outside of school and I must make sure not to overdo it. Stick with classes and the already scheduled events. Anything else will be too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home